- Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (3-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
NotesThis Creole-inspired dish uses chili sauce and cayenne pepper to spice it up. Tomatoes, green pepper, celery, onions and garlic spices also surround the chicken with delicious color. This main dish can be cooked on the stovetop or with an electric skillet.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
More About Tomatoes
How to Select
Look for plump tomatoes with smooth skin, an even color, and a sweet smell. They should feel slightly firm
How to Store
Keep ripe tomatoes at room temperature and away from direct sunlight for up to five days. Put firm tomatoes in a paper bag until ripe Put cut or cooked tomatoes in the refrigerator for up to two days