- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper or foil.
- Grate cauliflower on large holes of a box grater.
- In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg, flour, cheese, and salt; mix well.
- Press mixture together to make about 15 small balls or logs; Place on the baking sheet with space between each ball or log.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. For extra crispy tots, broil for an extra 2 minutes. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
2 cups cauliflower
3 Tablespoons flour
1/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
Materialsbox grater, parchment paper or foil, baking sheet, bowl, mixing spoon, measuring teaspoon , measuring tablespoon
More About Cauliflower
How to Select
Look for cauliflower where the heads are tightly packed. Packaged frozen cauliflower is a great option as well.
How to Store
Store in the refrigerator in a perforated plastic bag for 5-10 days. Do not wash before storing and make sure the heads are dry. To freeze: blanch and place in a labeled and dated freezer-grade bag. Frozen broccoli and cauliflower will keep for about a year.
How to Prepare
To cut the cauliflower remove the leaves and turn the cauliflower upside down and cut off the stem where it meets the florets. Cut the florets into equal sized pieces to ensure even cooking. Overcooking cauliflower can lead to the loss of nutrients. Steaming or microwaving cauliflower, instead of boiling it, better preserves the vitamin content. To steam cauliflower, place florets in a steamer basket over 2 inches of water. Cover and steam for 3 to five minutes. If you steam the cauliflower whole, it will take 15-20 minutes to cook