1. In a colander, drain and rinse black beans.
2. Rinse zucchini. Cut into thin slices or shred with a grater.
3. Rinse and chop fresh spinach. If using fresh parsley or cilantro, rinse and chop now.
4. If using fresh corn, peel. Use a knife to cut corn kernels off of the cob. If using canned corn, drain.
5. Grate cheese.
6. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add zucchini and cayenne pepper. Cook until zucchini is semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
7. Add corn and spinach. Cover and cook until tender, stirring a few times, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
8. Add black beans to the veggie mixture. Stir to combine. Smash beans lightly with a fork. Add 1–2 teaspoons water to make a bean-and-veggie paste.
9. Season mixture with black pepper. If using parsley or cilantro, add now. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Reserve skillet.
10. Spread vegetable mixture evenly on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas over. Press lightly with spatula to flatten.
11. Spray skillet lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add one folded tortilla. Cook about 4 minutes per side, or until both sides of tortilla are golden brown. Repeat until all quesadillas are cooked.
12. Cut each quesadilla into 2 wedges. Serve while hot.
NotesAdd your favorite veggies to the filling. In place of zucchini and spinach, use up leftover cooked veggies like collards, squash, or bell peppers. Top with low-fat yogurt or salsa.
- 1/2 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, no salt added
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (about 4 cups)
- 1 ear fresh corn or 1 cup canned corn
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1–2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro
MaterialsBox grater, Can opener ,Colander, Cutting board, Fork ,Large skillet with lid , Measuring spoons, Medium bowl ,Rubber spatula, Sharp knife
More About Zucchini
How to Select
Choose zucchini that feel heavy for their size. The skin should be free from cuts and bruises. Small to medium size zucchini have more flavor.
How to Store
Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and use within a few days
How to Prepare
Wash the zucchini under cool running water and then cut off both ends. Slice as desired. Both the peel and the seeds of summer squash are edible