1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Stir in carrots, black pepper,chicken broth, 1 cup water, and rice.
4. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until rice is cooked.
5. Stir in peas. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
6. Refrigerate leftovers.
NotesFor the best buy, choose mushrooms that look smooth and dry. They should not smell moldy! To prepare fresh mushrooms, rinse under running water. Pat dry with a paper towel if desired. Trim off rough ends of stems. To store fresh mushrooms, place them in a paper bag and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
12 mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
Black pepper, to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup peas