1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
2. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring, 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
3. Add tomato, mixed vegetables, rice, water, and spices. Mix and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium)
1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned mixed vegetables, chopped
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese
Materialslarge skillet, stove or electric skillet, chopping board, Knife to chop vegetables, can opener if using canned veggies, cheese grater, measuring spoons, measuring cup
More About Bell Peppers
How to Select
Choose peppers that are brightly colored and firm with tight skin.Avoid dull or shriveled peppers.
How to Store
Refrigerate bell peppers and use within 5 days.
How to Prepare
Peppers can be eaten raw, grilled, baked or sauted. Top them on pizzas, throw them on salads or stuff them and bake them for a delicious meal!