1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
2. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring, 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
3. Add tomato, mixed vegetables, rice, water, and spices. Mix and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium)
1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned mixed vegetables, chopped
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese