1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Rinse bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato.
3. Remove core and cut pepper into thin slices. Slice mushrooms ¼-inch thick. Remove core and dice tomato into ¼-inch pieces.
4. In a small bowl, grate cheese.
5. Split English muffins in half. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Prepare sauce while muffins cook.
6. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add peppers and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes. If needed, use a colander to drain vegetables.
7. Transfer veggies to a medium bowl. Add tomatoes. Stir to combine.
8. Stir spices into tomato sauce. Do this directly in the can.
9. When muffins are lightly browned, spoon 1 Tablespoon sauce over each muffin half. Coat evenly.
10. Layer veggies evenly over sauce. If using pepperoni, place one slice on each muffin half. Top with shredded cheese.
11. Bake muffins until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 6–8 minutes.
12. Let pizzas cool for 2 minutes before serving.
NotesUse any seasonal veggies you like. Try broccoli, onion, or spinach.
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 large tomato
- 1 (4-ounce) chunk mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole grain English muffins
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added