1. Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil, rinse, peel, and slice carrots into ¼-inch slices.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces by about ¾. Watch carefully after it reduces by ½ so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
4. Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 7–10 minutes.
5. In a colander, drain carrots. Rinse under cold water.
6. In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
NotesTo save time, steam carrots in the microwave instead of cooking on the stove. Place carrots in a microwave-safe dish with ½ cup of water for 3–5 minutes.
1 pound carrots
1 cup orange juice
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil
Pinch ground black pepper