- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into quarters. Cook in boiling water or steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until it becomes clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage begins to brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Add cabbage mixture to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or large fork to reach desired texture. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
1 pound red potatoes (about 3-4 cups chopped)
1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Materialsstove or electric hotplate, large skillet, medium saucepan, Knife for chopping, cutting board, vegetable scrubber, measuring cup, measuring spoon, potato masher, container for leftovers
More About Cabbage
How to Select
Buy whole in a head or shredded. Choose cabbage heads with tight leaves that are heavy for their size.
How to Store
Keep fresh cabbage in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
How to Prepare
Before use, rinse cabbage thoroughly and remove tough outer leaves. To cut cabbage into smaller pieces, first quarter it and remove the core. Cabbage can be cut into slices of varying thickness, grated by hand or shredded in a food processor.