- 1Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- 2Heat garlic with cooking spray in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned. Add onions, and continue to cook until the onions are soft, but not browned.
- 3Add spinach, and toss gently. Cook until the spinach is heated throughout. Season with pepper, and set aside to cool.
- 4When the spinach and onions are cool, assemble each sandwich with one slice of bread on the bottom, one tomato slice,1/2 cup of spinach mixture, 1/4 cup of cheese, and a second slice of bread on the top.
- 5Spray the preheated nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of each sandwich is browned.
- 6Carefully flip sandwiches, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.
1 tsp garlic, minced (about 1/2 clove)
1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
2 C frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained (or substitute 2 bags (10 oz each) fresh leaf spinach, rinsed)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
8 slices whole-wheat bread
1 medium tomato, rinsed, cut into 4 slices
1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Nonstick cooking spray