1. If using fresh broccoli, wash and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cook in a large (4 quart) saucepan of boiling water for 7-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
If using frozen broccoli, cook until heated through and just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. While broccoli cooks, toast sesame seeds in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly and cook until light brown.
3. Carefully add oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar to sesame seeds. Heat to boiling.
4. Pour sauce over hot, drained broccoli. Stir to coat and serve immediately.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
Materials4 quart saucepan, colander, vegetable knife for chopping, 1 quart saucepan, or medium skillet, measuring spoons, measuring cup,
More About Broccoli
How to Select
Buy fresh or frozen in whole heads or florets. Broccoli heads should be odorless with tight, blueish green florets.
How to Store
Refrigerate broccoli and use within 3-5 days.
How to Prepare
Broccoli can be sauted, steamed, boiled or eaten raw. Toss broccoli in a stir-fry, add it to salads, throw it on pizzas or dip it in low-fat ranch for a fun treat!