1. In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat.
2. Stir in onions, carrots and garlic.
3. Cook for about 5 minutes, covered.
4. Stir in the tomato puree, chicken broth, cooked squash, and herbs.
5. Bring soup to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
NotesTry this delicious soup with acorn squash, pumpkin, or butternut squash.
1 tablespoon olive oil
Materialscan opener, chopping knife, cutting board, saucepan
More About Winter Squash
How to Select
Look for firm winter squash that have dull-colored skin and feel heavy for their size.
How to Store
Keep whole winter squash in a cool, dark, dry place for up to three months.Put cut squash in a sealed container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to one week
How to Prepare
Before peeling, Poke holes in the squash with a fork. Slice the top and bottom off the squash. Stick the squash in the microwave for three and a half minutes. (You could go a little longer if you want.) Let the squash cool slightly and then peel the skin using a vegetable peeler or knife.