1. Rinse peppers. Remove seeds and mince.
2. Peel onion and garlic. Rinse onion and dice. Mince garlic.
3. If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
4. In a medium pot, add peppers, garlic, onion, cider vinegar, and canned tomatoes. Heat mixture over medium heat for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Chill before serving. If using, add cilantro to chilled salsa.
NotesWhen in season, use 3 medium or 2 large fresh tomatoes in place of canned.
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers
- ½ medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
MaterialsCan opener, Cutting board, Measuring spoons, Medium pot, Mixing spoon, Sharp knife
More About Tomatoes
How to Select
Look for plump tomatoes with smooth skin, an even color, and a sweet smell. They should feel slightly firm
How to Store
Keep ripe tomatoes at room temperature and away from direct sunlight for up to five days. Put firm tomatoes in a paper bag until ripe Put cut or cooked tomatoes in the refrigerator for up to two days