October's Harvest of the Month is Corn
Attend a Harvest of the Month Workshop near you!
Reasons to Eat Corn
- Corn contains several B vitamins, which are essential for supporting the body’s metabolism, producing energy and aiding the body in fighting disease and infection.
- The fiber found in sweet corn helps provide fullness after meals, which can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
Selection & Storage
- Purchase sweet corn with the husks still attached. Look for green-colored husks and lots of silk tassels coming from the top of the ear.
- Store fresh corn in a cool location or in the refrigerator for up to three days
- Keep a bag of corn in the freezer for last minute meal ideas.
- When buying canned corn, look for low-sodium varieties.
- Corn can be creamed, made into chowder, boiled or roasted.
- Add corn to your favorite salad recipes using fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
- Stuff corn and black beans into whole wheat pita pockets for a healthy sandwich.
Where to find in New York State
October is a great time to buy local New York State corn. Visit our Food Near You page to find a farmers' market where your SNAP card is welcomed.
If you or someone you know would be interested in bringing an educator to your school, agency or organization contact North Country Eat Smart NY at 1-844-3MY-ESNY.
*Adapted from California Harvest of the Month